Monday 7 July 2014

Army Ants

I consider our new home to be a dream home. There are so many blessings in living where we live and doing what we do. It's peaceful. My husband is home for most of our meals. We have a mountain view, verandah's, well water and solar power. My husband can watch the kids while I go out to minister. Just to name a few things. There are certainly some things that aren't part of the plusses though…

This week, our guard killed a two meter long Black Mamba in our yard. Last month, my one year old baby walked into a swarm of army ants. I was watching Ambrose from a fair distance away, walking happily along when he suddenly fell to the ground wailing. By the time I got to him he had these beauties all over his bottom half. These ants HURT! Once I'd brushed the ants off, stripped Ambrose down and assessed the situation, I saw he had about 20 bites. 



Thankfully, I had recently learned from Nate that a water and bi-carb soda paste takes away much of the sting. Once I'd made the paste Ambrose was already settling down, watching me work from the safety of my hip. By the time I started painting Ambrose with the paste, he seemed to be having the time of his life. Either it's a miracle paste or the distraction and fun of being pasted all over just worked wonders.


Good on you, my little son. You survived your first army ant encounter like a champion :)

No comments: